The most important conversations are often the hardest to start. We’ve compiled a list of excellent resources that will spur your family on the journey and give you the tools to dig deeper.
Curriculum and Programs
- You Are Here – Federal program that teaches kids to be smarter consumers
- Project Civic Reflection – Sparking conversation about civic engagement and community responsibility
- Doing Good Together – Building strong families, caring kids, and a better world
- Learning to Give – lessons and resources that teach giving and volunteerism, civic engagement, and character through service learning.
- Generous Giving – Spreading the biblical message of generosity and grow generous givers among those entrusted with much.
- Credits and Debits – Understanding Practical Money Management. (For older children and teens)
Organizations and Research
- National Center for Family Philanthropy – Promoting philanthropic values, vision and excellence across generations of philanthropists.
- The Center on Philanthropy – Leading academic center dedicated to increasing the understanding of philanthropy and improving its practice through research, teaching, public service and public affairs.
- Center on Wealth and Philanthropy – Multidisciplinary research center specializing in the study of spirituality, wealth, philanthropy, and other aspects of cultural life in an age of affluence.
- Giving USA Foundation – Advancing the research, education and public understanding of philanthropy
- Learn to Become: Volunteering and Nonprofits– Information on careers in nonprofits for students and young professionals.
- Silver Spoon Kids: How Successful Parents Raise Responsible Children
- The Giving Family: Raising Our Children to Help Others by Susan Crites Price
- Raising Charitable Children by Carol Weisman
- The Complete Guide to Service Learning: Proven, Practical Ways to Engage Students in Civic Responsibility, Academic Curriculum, and Social Action by Cathryn Berger Kaye
- Parents Do Make a Difference: How to Raise Kids with Solid Character, Strong Minds, and Caring Hearts by Michele Borba
- Helping Kids Help: Organizing Successful Charitable Projects by Renee Heiss
- Doing Good Together by Jenny Friedman and Jolene Roehlkepartain
For Kids and Families:
- The Giving Book: Open the Door to a Lifetime of Giving by Ellen Sabin
- A Kid’s Guide to Giving by Freddi Zeiler
- The Kid’s Guide to Service Projects: Over 500 Service Ideas for Young People Who Want to Make a Difference by Barbara Lewis
- The Three Questions by Jon Muth
- The Secret of Saying Thanks by Douglas Wood
- It’s Not What You’ve Got by Wayne Dyer and Kristina Tracy
- What Do You Stand For? For Kids: A Guide to Building Character by Barbara Lewis
- If You Had to Choose, What Would You Do? By Sandra McLeod Humphrey
- Thanks & Giving: All Year Long by Marlo Thomas and friends
- Reach Out and Give by Cheri J. Meiners
- Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed by Emily Pearson
- The Magic of Giving by Katie Cantrell
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein